Sunday 7 December 2014

8 weeks tomorrow

The Moose and I met with the midwife the other day, and I think we will like her a lot.  She is the youngest in this area, but she has worked as a pediatrics nurse, and is very much about collaborating with doctors and such when she feels unsure about anything.  Midwives in New Zealand are supposed to operate independently, and that can lead to some issues with complications.  There was one here a few years ago who botched a birth and left the first time mum alone and bleeding badly.  And she is still practicing.  Needless to say I avoided her and her company.  Anyway, my dutch midwife refuses to do home births due to the risk (thank god cuz I would never ever ever want to do that!), she doesn't put pressure on a new mum to breastfeed as she recognizes that some women simply can't, and she is willing to refer rather than tackle something herself which may be out of her league.  And she has promised to be blunt, which I appreciate.

I will be getting a call soon to set up the next ultrasound to screen for Down's syndrome and the likes, and will be meeting with the midwife again in four weeks. 

I also set up our xmas tree.  It has been in the Moose's family for ages, and he reckons it could be 60 years old.  I've found it a little sad looking, and have tried to hide the obviously cardboard tube with some tinsel, but once the ornaments are up it looks rather retro chic.  But if this pregnancy results in a healthy bubs, we will be needed a bigger, stronger tree...one that is child proof.  Because it is all I can do to gingerly decorate this tree without breaking it.



Of course, it never seems like xmas when it is summer out, and even though this summer has been rather cold, I have been caught off guard again.  I haven't quite finished xmas shopping for my family, and to get presents to them in time, I probably should have sent them a week or two ago.  Oops. 

Which reminds me, I need to go down to the farmers market to buy some more fancy olive oil to send home.  Best go now before I forget again. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if this will help at all but I found this chart that gives you estimated percentage of odds of miscarrying by date in pregnancy. At 8 weeks, your chance of miscarrying is down to 2.4%. In other words, your bubs has 97.6% chance of making it. Those are pretty good odds in my book. :)

    Oh, and here's the chart. We taped a printout on our fridge and are crossing off the days one by one: http://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea!! Thanks for that! 97.6% chance is pretty awesome. I looked for something similar when I was spotting and cramping at 5 weeks but I think I only found message boards!

      Delete